Logo

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

God's Love and Spiritual Warfare


   By the time I was 34 years old, my life had become a mess. For years, depression, fatigue, discouragement and secret sins had been growing inside of me. I wondered over and over why Christianity was not working for me in my everyday life. Oh, and did I mention that I was a pastor at that time? Pastors are supposed to have all the answers, right?

   To try to “fix” my unraveling inner world, I prayed more, read my Bible more, went to counseling and on more than one occasion had people pray against potential demonic influences. Yet, nothing changed.

   One night, God chose to reveal to me His incredible love for me and my menacing darkness turned into marvelous light. Experiencing God’s love began to free and heal me in a way that nothing and no one prior had been able to do. Since that time, I have certainly had my share of struggles like all of us do but God has been progressively changing me since that night.

   I am coming to believe more and more that the best weapon we have in our spiritual warfare arsenal is God’s dynamic love for us personally. That’s not to say that it is the only one, of course. But I think it is maybe one of the best I have found.

   Take a look at the connection between God’s love for us and our victory in Christ.

Romans 8:37, “In all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us.” NIV

1 John 4:18, “There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.” NIV

   To experience God’s love is to experience Christ Himself according to Ephesians 3:14-21.

   With that in mind, think about the impact of the God Who is Love, living in us. 1 John 4:18, “You are from God, little children, and have overcome them; because greater is He who is in you than He who is in the world.” NIV

   God’s love defeats our struggles with condemnation, false guilt, a misplaced quest for intimacy, inferiority, arrogance, feelings of loneliness and more. Galatians 5:22-23 says it this way. Love is the first and foremost evidence that the Holy Spirit is living through us.

   Ask God to make His love more and more real to you. You can even pray Ephesians 3:14-21 for yourself and those you care about just like I often do.

   You are loved! Believe it. Receive it. Live in it.


Mark Maulding, President and Founder


www.GraceLifeInternational.com
All Content Copyright © 2012 Mark Maulding