Logo

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Men and Women Loved by Jesus on Valentine's Day


   Country singer Taylor Swift has a new song called "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together". With a smile on my face, I was thinking today about how this relates to each of us as men and women on Valentine's Day. We once belonged to an abusive "lover" who promised us the world only to disappoint every time. This "lover" was biding his time, secretly strategizing how to steal the joy from us that we were created for; destroy us on every level and eventually kill us. Looking back, we recognize that we were "sleeping with the enemy". Because of our relationship with the true Lover of our souls, Jesus, we can now sing to Satan "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together"!

   Our relationship with Jesus reminds me of another song I heard. I usually just enjoy them at face value but some of them do tend to pull me deeper into my relationship with God. Here are just a few of the words which provide a window in Jesus' heart for us. Where you see the word, "baby", just insert "your name" as if Jesus were singing to you as your friend.

   When you're down and troubled and you need a helping hand and nothing, whoa, nothing is going right. Close your eyes and think of me and soon I will be there to brighten up even your darkest nights.

   You just call out my name, and you know where ever I am, I'll come running, oh yeah baby, to see you again. Winter, spring, summer, or fall, all you have to do is call and I'll be there, yeah, yeah, you've got a friend.
(If you'd like to hear the entire song with lyrics, you can view and listen on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v+AIS-RuoZxCl)

   I realize that Jesus is already in us and we don't have to wait for Him to come running when we call out to Him but this song speaks of the eagerness of this Friend to drop everything and to be with us, during good and bad times. That's the heart of our Jesus for us!

   I wonder if we understand that He is the One pursuing us? (Pause and think on this for a moment.) He desires that we enjoy the friendship and love He has already given us. We can tell Him anything that we are thinking whether it's our draining struggles or delightful aspirations. He longs to hear what is on our hearts because He loves us so. And sometimes, we will hear Him speak back to us in our spirit through mostly His Word or in other ways, such as the song lyrics I've shared with you.

   Jesus said it this way, "No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father, I have made known to you." John 15:15 Now, go back and read the scripture again substituting the word "you" with "your name" and see if it becomes more personal.

   This Valentine's Day, let's go deeper in the friendship and love of Jesus for us!

You are loved! Believe it. Receive it. Live in it.


Mark Maulding, President and Founder

www.GraceLifeInternational.com
All Content Copyright © 2012 Mark Maulding