Logo

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Christian Myth #1 - Get More Committed to Jesus



   Often we are under the impression that we would live a less sinful life if we were more committed to Jesus.  Being more committed to Jesus means we will try harder to live for God instead of for sin.  If we have bought into this myth, we have realized it leads to failure upon failure.  Why?  Because being more committed to Jesus actually puts us in a position to live in our own religious strength instead of His divine strength.  Being more committed to Him causes us to act as though we are separate from Him. That would be like pushing our lawn mower over our yard without any gas in the engine in hopes that it would cut the grass.  No wonder many people give up on the Christian life completely.   
   God does not want us to get more committed to Him.  What may surprise us is that the words "commit" and "committed" are used 99% of the time in the Old and New Testaments in the context of committing sin.  They are never ever used to tell us to get more committed to God.  
   Then what does God want?  For we who believe, He wants us to daily surrender to Jesus in us.  This puts us in a place of dependence on Him and not ourselves.  Rather than living as though we are separated from God, we live from our union with Him. Take a quick look at a few scriptures describing our union with Christ.  1 Corinthians 6:17 "But the one who joins himself to the Lord is one spirit with Him."  Romans 7:4 "...you also were made to die to the Law through the body of Christ, so that you might be joined to another, to Him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God."  Galatians 2:20, "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me.  The life I now live in the body, I live by faith of the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."  Philippians 1:21 "For to me, to live is Christ..."
   Surrendering to Christ so we can live from our union with Him is saying, "I  am willing to do whatever You want me to do today and I am depending completely on You Who lives in me to do those things through me".  Do you see how different this is from being more committed to Him?
   I have had the privilege of mentoring all three of my sons.  One said to me, "I just can't live the Christian life!"  As we talked through it, what became obvious was that deep down he believed the myth that being committed to Jesus Christ would result in living a life which overcomes sin and he was failing over and over.  You see, he was so focused on his behavior that he was missing the wonderful relationship of our union with Christ.  I encouraged him to focus more on that and in time the behavior would follow.  
   The good news for us today is that we can stop trying to be more committed to Jesus and can surrender to Him, since we are united to Him - He is in us and we are in Him.  Are you willing to begin right now?  Go ahead and tell Him.  Even if we don't feel any different or see an immediate change in our behavior, let's not give up.  Over time, we will be transformed.
  
    

 
Live Free In Christ, 


Mark Maulding, President and Founder 



www.GraceLifeInternational.com 
All Content Copyright © 2012 Mark Maulding