Logo

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Christians Who Think They Are Superior


     When God freed me from my years of legalism, I was transformed forever. This resulted in my ruled based ways of living drifting away. Hoever, much later, I had to face the reality that I was still not free in one area in particular. It was a fleshly attitude that hurt some of those I loved the most. I had to be confronted in love, but very firmly, to understand that I had a problem. My problem was pride. When my mentor first asked me if I struggled with pride, I said, "No one has ever mentioned that to me". Wisely, he followed with, "Do you have a problem with believing you are superior"? Immediately, my eyes were opened to a side of pride I did not realize was there. Yet, I was puzzled. Where did that come from? I knew my identity in Christ! How was this possible?
     Well, I wish I could tell you that I could immediately pinpoint when this thinking started, but that would not come until later. I think my Father took some time to let me see the ugly hurtfulness of this sin. I kept asking Him, where did this come from? At first, I realized that it was left over from my years of legalism. The root of pride produces the fruit of superiority in the legalist. They see themselves as superior to other Christians because they "keep the rules".
Next, the Holy Spirit took me back to my high school years, where I started to beleive that had to be the best to feel significant.\
     Finally, He caused me to understand some of the messages I often observed being played out before me as a child. In this context, I realized that I had learned superiority.
Yet even before that, my real problem was that I was born into this world as a sinner and all sinners perform for acceptance. I did it in "socially acceptable ways". My younger brother did it in "socially unacceptable ways". In either case, those who think they perform well believe they are superior.
     My loving Abba began to slowly free me from my sinful pattern of superiority. It was a really big pattern in my flesh, and it took multiple crises for me to come to grips with it.
In Philippians 2:3, we are instructed to "Do nothing from rivalry or conceit but in humility count others as more significant than yourselves". When we are confident of who we are in Christ, we can actually consider others as better than us. This does not mean we are to put ourselves down with some twisted false humility. But it does mean we are to realize that the flesh can lead us to sit on the "perch of superiority".
     Galatians 3:28 says, "There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, there is neither male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." All of our superiority died with our old sinful identity on the cross.
     How about you? Do you have a problem with superiority? Do you have spiritual superiority? Gender superiority? Racial superiority? Socioeconomic superiority? Those are all sinful ways of feeling superior and come from this world.
     In God's family, the only One superior is our God! Yes, in Christ, we are all important but no one is more important than any other regardless of how we perform, how big our ministry is, what we possess or our what position we have. We are all children of God with equal value.
     If you realize you have a problem with the sin of superiority, I urge you to face it. Ask God to show you where it started. Then ask Him to bring into your experience your freedom from this because of who you are in Christ.  In Christ, you are humble!

Until next time, remember He loves us!


Live Free In Christ,

Mark Maulding, President and Founder
GraceLifeInternational.com

All Content Copyright © 2012 Mark Maulding